Doyenne du Comice
Comice is widely considered to have the best flavor of any pear. It has both the characteristic "melting" flesh of the highest quality pear varieties, along with a sweet richness and delicacy which others can't quite attain.
Although originating from France it was well-known in England by the late 19th century and the Victorian author Robert Hogg records several letters from fellow enthusiasts praising its "surpassing flavour".
Doyenne du Comice pear trees for sale
11-year maiden bare-root
Quince Eline rootstock
Medium size (2.5m-3m after 10 years)
21-year maiden bare-root
Quince A rootstock
Large size (3m-4m after 10 years)
Deliveries resume December 2020
How to grow
As befits such a refined pear, Doyenne du Comice needs to be grown in a sheltered situation, and it likes a dry warm climate.
The other important consideration with Comice is that it needs a reliable pollination as the shape of its flowers makes successful pollination more difficult. Therefore make sure a compatible pollinator tree is close by so that pollinating insects can move from tree to tree.
As with all pears, it is important to get the time of picking right. Unlike apples, which are usually best if left to ripen on the tree, pears should be picked under-ripe and then ripened indoors (or in a fridge).
Inspite of its somewhat fussy requirements, Comice is quite resistant to fireblight, one of the main diseases of pears.
Raised in the garden of the Comice Horticole, in the town of Angers in the Loire valley, France, during the mid-19th century.
Doyenne du Comice characteristics
- Picking seasonLate
- Keeping2-3 weeks
- Fruit persistenceNormal ripening
- Useful forEating fresh
- Gardening skillExperienced
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Flowering group4
- Pollinating othersPoor
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- Disease resistanceAverage
- FireblightSome resistance
- MildewSome susceptibility
- ScabSome susceptibility
- Climate typeTemperate climatesWarm climates
- Summer average maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Frost resistance of blossomGood resistance
- Country of originFrance
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
- Flower colourWhite
- Fruit colourGreen - light
- Fruit sizeLarge
- AwardsRHS Award of Garden Merit